About Me

My photo
Author of 4 books, including an Amazon bestseller in Horse Care, and 2 DVDs, Chartered Physiotherapist, Equine Behaviourist and BHS Accredited Professional BHSAI, Sue is passionate about helping owners to unlock their horse's potential.

Wednesday 8 June 2016

Know your own horse

This message is from a reader of my regular free e-newsletter, Debra Jones, and I wanted to share it because the learning point is so, so important!

Hi Sue,

I loved the Gemma Pearson article, and would like to add to it that you should trust your own instincts, know your own horse.




Mason had a bit of an incident a couple of months back where he got caught up in the electric fencing, panicked and tried to jump/ran through a 5 bar metal gate, ending up on the floor with his legs in the air. Vet advised giving him a danilon morning and night and keeping him out rather than in for the next few days to avoid stiffness.
He appeared to suffer no ill effects after the event, and was completely sound, so after a week I started riding him properly again. Roll on about 6 weeks and I took him to a showing show. He was “very naughty” with me in the go round, and was bucking when I asked for the right canter lead. I asked a couple of friends at the side if they thought I should bring him out as the bucking was totally out of character, but they suggested I persevered, said he looked “very naughty” and recommended pushing him on and riding him more forward. I wasn’t sure, but I did stay in the ring, and he was perfectly fine on the left rein.
After the show I thought about what had happened, that my friends had said “he’s just being naughty” and the behaviour that was so out of character, and for my peace of mind I called Juliet Lock and asked to bring his scheduled 4 monthly chiro check forward a few weeks.




I should never have doubted myself, or my horse – Juliet examined him, and found that he had displaced his hock, needed adjustment on both sides of his neck, and was very tight through his right hand side in the quarters area, probably stemming from the failed gate jumping incident those months ago. My horse wasn’t “naughty” he was sore, and being the stalwart that he is had soldiered on until he couldn’t handle it anymore, and told me in the only way he knew how. 
I felt terrible, and racked my brains to see if he’d been trying to tell me earlier, but until that point there really were no signs at all.
Now I know to trust my own instincts, and not rely on people who don’t know me or my horse, and get the professionals in if I’m in any doubt.
Mason responded well to Juliet’s treatment and I’m pleased to say is back on track now.

Debra Jones, Oxfordshire, UK


For more information on Juliet Lock, Chiropractor, click here.

To find your local Chartered Physiotherapist, visit www.acpat.co.uk.

For regular updates from The Horse Physio, sign up for FREE at www.thehorsephysio.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.