About Me

My photo
Author of 4 books, including an Amazon bestseller in Horse Care, and 2 DVDs, Chartered Physiotherapist, Equine Behaviourist and BHS Accredited Professional BHSAI, Sue is passionate about helping owners to unlock their horse's potential.

Wednesday 1 June 2016

Hyoid release: a gentle, effective treatment technique

The body is incredible, and never ceases to amaze me. Everything is connected, as so affecting one part of the body, however small, has a ripple effect elsewhere. 


I choose to use treatment techniques that allow the horse to stay calm, because increased adrenalin means decreased healing, and my job as a Chartered Physiotherapist is to promote the healing process, not reduce it. There are plenty of techniques for the 'back last for horses' to choose from, and one of my favourite is the hyoid release.


Recently I found a video on YouTube that explains well what I'm doing, put together by someone who learned the technique from the same person I did, the incredible, wonderful Dr Kerry Ridgway. And so for all those who've clients who've asked what I'm doing when I work with the horses tongue, here is a good explanation: https://youtu.be/0PDjICClW3w

This is not an exercise that I recommend owners trying for themselves, as there is a risk of fracturing the hyoid bone, which is very delicate. But in the hands of a professional, it is a relaxing and effective technique, which allows the practitioner to use other gentle techniques as a follow on.


First, I assess the horse, including for muscle spasm around the hyoid bone.


Next, I take a gentle but firm hold of the tongue, and allow the horse to mobilise it for himself, in the head and neck position that he chooses, until I feel a release of muscle tension.


Once the tension has released, I move to the base of the neck, to cause a further release, which generally leads to improve range if movement and greater relaxation.



Almost every horse I've tried this technique with has found it relaxing, and the benefits of treatment are clear to see immediately afterwards. It's as though you can see the body unwinding before your eyes. 


To find out more about The Horse Physio, and to keep in touch, follow us on FB at The Horse Physio, or Twitter @thehorsephysio, or sign up to receive a free ended letter with top tips and helpful hints at www.thehorsephysio.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.