About Me

My photo
Author of 4 books, including an Amazon bestseller in Horse Care, and 2 DVDs, Chartered Physiotherapist, Equine Behaviourist and BHS Accredited Professional BHSAI, Sue is passionate about helping owners to unlock their horse's potential.

Sunday 5 May 2013

Help for head shakers?

Readers responses to my recent e-newsletter question "A reader has asked for tips on helping a horse that head shakes - what suggestions do you have?":

Hi Sue,

My Welsh mare is a head shaker and this is really difficult to cure, at best you just have to manage it, it all depends what the 'trigger' is for your individual, for mine it is flies and midges and light rain or snow flakes touching her face.  I can manage the later pretty well by not ridding in snow/rain, but the flies are the main problem as the season for them is long, I manage this by riding her in a full face fly mask to cover her from nose to ears, I have tried ones designed to be ridden  in but I find the best to be Shires fine mesh full face mask, although designed for the field, visability is good and mesh is stiff enough not to touch eyes but soft enough not to rub.  This does not stop the head shaking as she still reacts to flies coming towards her face but it does reduce it enough to have a reasonably pleasant and safe ride. She also head shakes in autumn when the leaves are coming off the trees, this seems to be in anticipation of them touching her.  I have an 'MOT' every 6 months with Donna Blinman (vet and physio) who says she has bones in her head which should have small gap between but are touching on one side probably from a knock or kick when she was younger which may be causing the sensitivity, she has done a session on her head to relive some of this but it had little effect on the head shaking.  I also ensure her bridle is not causing any pressure and use a comfort bridle with padded and shaped head piece, padded loose noseband and loose brow band.  My vet has suggested nerve blocking and possible cutting of trigeminal nerve or inserting a metal coil but I am reluctant to go down this invasive root.  I tend to make the most of the winter and ride where possible in summer early in the morning before the flies are about too much.
My daughter has a friend who has a head shaker who starts by giving her a jab in the mouth and ends up smacking her across the nose with her whip when she doesn't stop!! not the answer for the poor mare.
Hope this may be some help
Regards
Andrea


Hi Sue,
I have a fell pony that head shakes annd now I ride bitless. I ude a Dr Cook bitless bridle and I find he's much more relaxed. It hasn't cured him but he's much improved .
Jean


Hi Sue
Re Head shakers;  I read recently I think on Helpful Hints or a link that cranio Sacral Therapy can help head shakers.
Regards
Mary Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.