About Me

My photo
Author of 4 books, including an Amazon bestseller in Horse Care, and 2 DVDs, Chartered Physiotherapist, Equine Behaviourist and BHS Accredited Professional BHSAI, Sue is passionate about helping owners to unlock their horse's potential.

Sunday 3 February 2013

A new approach...


One of my favourite phrases is 'To teach is to touch a life'. Every so often I hear from someone I've worked with, and I'm reminded just how true this is.

'I was moved to write to you as I so enjoy getting your helpful hints and I particularly like this one:

"If you don't have good balance and core stability when you are on your horse, your hands will not be able to be soft in relation to his mouth."

I have fully understood the meaning of this after many lessons with Julian Marczak who has solely worked on my seat (6 months of weekly lessons on the lunge) and then my hands, both on my own horse and his school masters. I am enjoying my riding SO much more now that I really appreciate how to 'feel' the horse's mouth with a gentle sponging effect when wishing to request more flexion or a change of pace or direction. Horses go so much better for me and the achievement of harmony between horse and rider is wonderful.

I first met you when you delivered a massage course at my friend C's home a couple of years ago. Your visit and fantastic massage teaching marked a change in my approach to horses. My horse was the only one who showed some discomfort upon massaging the longissimus dorsi that day and upon your recommendation I had her saddle checked. It was indeed pinching her, to my shame and horror. Since then I have been so much more attentive to my dear trusting horse's every comfort, purchasing more comfortable saddles, bridle headpiece and noseband and engaging a local physio for a six monthly check as well as regular home massage as you showed us. I enjoys all human contact and nickers every time myself or my daughter appear whether hungry or not. She makes herself understood at all times now that I am more attuned to her needs. We now ride her in nothing more than a snaffle with a cavesson noseband.

With many thanks from a happy rider and horse,
T'

Another favourite phrase is 'Smile and the world smiles with you'.  This might not be the case with horses, but certainly your horse work is improved if you are smiling while you are working (or playing, depending on how you view your time with your horse!).  It's difficult to act harshly or impatiently if you have a true grin on your face - try it sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.